An overdraft occurs when you make a debit card purchase or ATM transaction and do not have enough money in your account to pay for it. BankFirst will not authorize and pay overdrafts, nor charge you NSF fees, for everyday debit card and ATM transactions unless you opt in. Whatever your decision, our overdraft rules give you flexibility.
If you opt in, you can cancel at any time. If you do not opt in, you can change this option at any time by logging in to Online Banking and completing the Opt In/Out form (which is located under the "Account Changes" tab) or use one of the alternative ways shown in the tab below. To learn more about the overdraft rules for ATM and debit cards, read this brochure.
What You Need to Know about ATM/Debit Card Overdraft Services and Overdraft Privilege
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in three different ways:
- We offer transfers from another BankFirst account, which has a low cost of $10.00 per daily transfer.
- We offer an Overdraft Protection Line of Credit, which has a $10.00 cash advance fee.
- We offer an Overdraft Privilege Service. As a non-contractual courtesy, we may pay reasonable overdrafts up to a limit and charge a Non-Sufficient Funds fee. Our standard overdraft NSF fee is $36.00 per item.
Please ask us about our standard overdraft practices and any of these options.
What are the standard overdraft practices and overdraft fees that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for customers in good standing and with no account abuse for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to by opting in:
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of $36.00 per item each time we pay an overdraft.
- There is a $216.00 daily limit on the total NSF fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
- If any item overdraws your account $5.00 or less, a NSF fee will not be charged for that item.
- We pay all items from low dollar amount to high dollar amount in the following order of transaction types: Debit Card/ATM transactions, ACH Debit Transactions, and paper checks.
What if I want BankFirst Financial Services to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and every debit card transactions, you may fill out the Opt In/Out form within Online Banking under the "Account Changes" tab. If you prefer, you may choose one of the alternate ways below.
What if I want to revoke my Overdraft Privilege service?
If you want to revoke your option for Overdraft Privilege service, you may log in to Online Banking and complete the Opt In/Out form, which is located under the "Account Changes" tab. If you prefer, you may choose one of the other alternate ways below.
Alternative Ways to Opt In/Out
Our customer service representatives are available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm CST Monday through Friday if you prefer to Opt In/Out of either service by phone.
Call (662) 726-6030
If you prefer to Opt In/Out of either service by mail, please write a letter which includes your name, phone number, account number, and preferred option and send it to:
BankFirst Financial Services
P.O. Box 31
Macon, MS 39341
Sometimes it's easier to talk about things in person. Please visit any of our locations and ask a representative to help you decide which plan is best for you.